Thursday, January 21, 2010

Eve Who?

Good morning!  Where have you all been?  I've been searching and searching for you . . . okay, not true.  Sorry for not blogging for awhile.  I've been sick since Christmas and it has really only been the last 5 or 6 days that I've felt like myself again.  I've had some gastro-intestinal issues, really for a year and a half, including a bowel blockage, bouts of pancreatitis, and gallbladder removal.  So to feel good is really a gift and a blessing.

One of the things that happened at my doctor last week was the removal of dairy from my diet.  When she first told me that she wanted me to not have milk or dairy products for two weeks, I thought, sure, no biggie.  But she wanted me to be VERY careful - lots and lots of processed foods contain dairy, as does that extra food group - chocolate. 

Now THAT'S hard!  I did fine the first few days, but it has become tough!  I WANT dairy!  Who cares what the doctor says!  A little bit of cheese in my soup isn't going to hurt me.  Eating a couple of pieces of chocolate is GOOD for me!  And, quite frankly, I want MILK!

This morning I was lying in bed, and it hit me smack upside the head.  I'm Eve!!  I've always wondered how Eve could have blown it so badly.  Girl, you have ALLLLLLLL the other trees in the garden from which to eat.  Don't eat from that one.  It's just one tree.  Dr. Phung was saying to me, in essence, girl, you have five other food groups from which you can eat.  But until you're better, don't eat from just one.  And instead of me walking around going, woo-hoo!!!  I get to eat from 5 of the 6 food groups, I've been walking around whining about how hard it is to not eat dairy.

Let's look at this story in Genesis.  "The LORD God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it. And the LORD God commanded the man, 'You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die.'  When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it. Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made coverings for themselves."  (Genesis 2:15-17, 3:6-7)

We could spend weeks dissecting these two chapters, showing how Adam and Eve began first by sliding into sin, then jumping in wholeheartedly.  But I guess today I'm just focusing on how much this is like my experience of the last week.  Instead of focusing on all they could do, they focused on the one thing God told them not to do.  I've always wondered how they could do that.  How could they be so close to God, and yet disobey?  How could they want the one thing they shouldn't have?  Didn't they have enough?

Well, this week has shown me.  WOW.  I'm exactly the same.  I have wanted the one thing I shouldn't have.  It's not that I can't have it, I'm physically able to open the refrigerator and get out the milk.  But my doctor, who by the way went to medical school (as opposed to me!) might know a thing or two.  And God, who created the Garden and everything and everyone in it (as opposed to Adam & Eve creating it!) might know what's good for those He loves.

Why do we fight Him?  Why do we assume that He is trying to take away good things from us?  Our first instinct when we don't get something we want should be, "Praise God!  He's got a better plan in store!"  But so often, it's "No fair!  I wanted that!" 

Why do we fight Him?  Because we have an enemy, and this enemy is smart and quick to try to manipulate our feelings and circumstances.  We have to be vigilant against him and his ability to destroy us with our own selfish desires.  "Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings."  1 Peter 1:8-9

Let's not fight Him.  His way, His gifts are perfect and are only for our good.  This week, if something gets taken from you, or you don't have something you want, remember to claim His way, His love, His good gifts for your life.  Join me in thanking Him.  Join me in remembering that He has a plan for me, a perfect plan, one that is filled with hope and love, and is only for my good.

Thanks for letting me come back, after almost a month of absence!  Keep blazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment