Monday, February 15, 2010

Round 'Em Up!

So I was just getting started blogging again, but took a week's vacation.  Then school was out for 3 days because of snow.  So now I'm back at it - hopefully for a while again!  Sorry for the lapse, I know how much you miss me when I'm not here!  wink wink  This week's scriptures will be from Romans 5 & 6.

"There's more to come: We continue to shout our praise even when we're hemmed in with troubles, because we know how troubles can develop passionate patience in us, and how that patience in turn forges the tempered steel of virtue, keeping us alert for whatever God will do next. In alert expectancy such as this, we're never left feeling shortchanged. Quite the contrary—we can't round up enough containers to hold everything God generously pours into our lives through the Holy Spirit!"  Romans 5:3-5, The Message

Those verses about make me quiver!  There's so much meat just in these few words.  Let's start with the term, "passionate patience."  I don't know about you, but patience is not something I've really ever been all that passionate about!  I've always looked at virtues like patience as something that happens when I'm not really looking for it.  But this scripture implies that we are searching it out, pursuing it!

But look at the NIV version:  "Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance . . ."  Suffering (or troubles) produce (develop) perseverance (patience).  Where does the "passionate" come from?

When you look up the words produce and develop in the dictionary, there are definitions that might not ordinarily come to mind.  For example, produce:   to bring into existence; give rise to; cause.  To bring into existence by intellectual or creative abilityTo birth.  And also, develop:  to bring out the capabilities or possibilities of; bring to a more advanced or effective state. 

Sure, we can also find definitions for these words that are more passive and suggest a "sit back and let it happen" attitude.  But these definitions inspire me to be ready - to be available - to be an effective vessel that God can use to cause, or bring out, or birth these qualities within me.

In other words, I don't want to "sit back and wait" for patience to develop in me.  I want to be passionate about pursuing patience!  Those of you who know me well are laughing right now.  Not naming any names (Rebekah, Stephen . . . all of you!) but you know who you are!  Patience is definitely NOT my defining characteristic.

But as a mom, I think how much my son can learn from me when my patience with him is not shown through deep breaths and clenched teeth, but through a joyful spirit.  When he tests me - and oh, he tests me! - how much more effective my parenting will be with a passionate spirit, instead of a controlling disposition.

My mom always said, "Never pray for patience.  That's when God will give you stuff to force you to be patient!"  But I say, let's do it!  Let's pray that God will find in us willing vessels to create passionate patience in!

Keep blazing for Christ!  See you tomorrow!


   

No comments:

Post a Comment