Monday, May 9, 2011

Ruth

But Naomi said, “Return home, my daughters. Why would you come with me? Am I going to have any more sons, who could become your husbands? Return home, my daughters; I am too old to have another husband. Even if I thought there was still hope for me—even if I had a husband tonight and then gave birth to sons— would you wait until they grew up? Would you remain unmarried for them? No, my daughters. It is more bitter for me than for you, because the LORD’s hand has turned against me!”

At this they wept aloud again. Then Orpah kissed her mother-in-law goodbye, but Ruth clung to her.

“Look,” said Naomi, “your sister-in-law is going back to her people and her gods. Go back with her.”

But Ruth replied, “Don’t urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried. May the LORD deal with me, be it ever so severely, if even death separates you and me.” When Naomi realized that Ruth was determined to go with her, she stopped urging her. Ruth 1:11-17

It's funny, because we often hear the verse, "Where you go I will go, where you stay I will stay" during weddings, pertaining to the bride and groom.  What would happen in our marriages today if the bride said those words to her mother-in-law?

Because that's what's happening here.  Naomi's husband had died.  Both of her sons had died.  For a woman, that was a death sentence.  That circumstance would put you at the mercy of the community for your food, clothing and protection, unless one of the men had left her some money.  There is no indication of that here. 

So Naomi is going "home," back to where she came from, back where she might have family.  She sends her daughters-in-law back to their homes, for the same reason - they have no money, no future.  At least the daughters-in-law are young, and can marry again.

Naomi may feel like her life is over.

Who would want to be around that?

Who would want to stay in an uncomfortable situation, when a better door is opening right around the corner?

Ruth, that's who.  When she married into her husband's family, she obviously took her vows seriously!  She married all of them!  I can see her grieving for her father-in-law, as if he were her own father.  I can see her grieving for her brother-in-law, as if he were her own brother.  And she treats Naomi as her own mother, refusing to leave her.

Ruth could have a future somewhere else.  But she has chosen to truly care about Naomi, to take her as her own.  She cares enough to not let her go out on her own.  She cares enough to care about her loneliness, her grief, her bitterness.  She cares enough to offer her protection. 

Care, like love, is action.  It's putting feet to words.  Ruth is such a perfect example of this, don't you think?

We can all say we care.  We get together at church, hear the prayer requests, bow our heads and sincerely and fervently pray for each other.

Then we go out for dinner.  And never think about those things again.

We hear that Old Mrs. O'Leary is sick, and has no family.  And so we pray - but do we go see her, send a card, take her a meal?  We hear that Janie just had a baby - do we offer to come with the infant so mama can nap?  We hear needs all around us, all day.  Do we do anything about them?

I'm not pointing fingers - I'm talking to me!  This is something I am HORRIBLE at! 

I hope God speaks to you today, as He is speaking to me.  How can we care - truly care - about others this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment