Thursday, March 28, 2013

The Suffering Servant

Just had to discuss this question in my homework for my Old Testament class:
 
What would be the implications for the contemporary Church, of a Messiah modeled after the "Son of Man" and "Suffering Servant." In our efforts to be "Christlike", why should these models impact our daily living?

And I couldn't help remembering times that my church suffered:  because someone sat in their pew.  Because someone decided to lay blue carpet instead of red.  Because we had the wrong items for breakfast.  Because we didn't have VBS.  Because we watched the Super Bowl.

Ahhhh . . . our suffering.  Our servanthood.  Our Christlikeness. 

But that's me talking about other people.  Let me think about how I have suffered. 

Thinking.
Thinking.
Thinking. 

My friends . . . I have no idea what suffering is.  I might not even really know servanthood.  What scares me?  Is if that I don't know those two things, I might not understand Christlikeness.  At all. 

And that scares me to death. 

Whether or not I suffer is up to God.  But whether or not I serve?  That's up to me.  And I can do more.  I must do more.

No comments:

Post a Comment