Sunday, October 20, 2013

Quiet Confidence

I'm a talker.  Anyone who knows me, knows that.  I'll talk to anyone.  About anything.  I've embarrassed my kid by initiating conversations with strangers.  On a bus.  In Chicago.  About a purse.  (What?  It was a cute purse!)

I'm a teacher, and a pastor.  Talking is an implied prerequisite for those positions.  So much to say, so little time to say it.  Almost every class I teach, from prenatal to CPR to Bible studies, ends up being too short and I wish I had more time to talk.

I'm starting to wonder if I just like to hear myself.
I'm starting to wonder if I'm beginning to get really, really sick of myself.

Isaiah 32:17 says, "The work of righteousness will be peace, And the effect of righteousness, quietness and assurance forever" (NKJV).  The Revised Standard Version puts it this way:  "And the effect of righteousness will be peace, and the result of righteousness, quietness and trust for ever."

The result of righteousness is quietness.

Now I know that Isaiah was speaking towards a cultural, national quietness - a time of peace.  But I think this verse is applicable on a personal level, too.  Because here's the thing - have you ever told a lie?  I can always tell when someone is lying because they won't stop talking!  It's like they think (ok, "they" is me, I've done it too) that if they are able to pile more and more made up details, the story will be believable.

But when you speak truth, it doesn't take a lot of words.  You don't have to make anything up.  You just simply sit in quiet, righteous assurance.  

When Jesus was accused at his trial, he didn't stutter for words.  He didn't talk fast.  He didn't talk his way out of it.  Instead, he barely spoke at all!  He showed such righteousness, such quiet confidence.  He knew who he was.  He knew whose he was.  He knew what would happen.  No amount of talking would have changed anything.

And so, I wonder . . . can I rest in the confidence of the righteousness God has ordained for me, the holiness he is producing in me?  

I recently spent time away at a women's conference.  I went alone, took no one with me, to a retreat of over 2,000 women.  I barely spoke to anyone for two days, other than "Good morning," "Hello" ... stuff like that.  I was really, really quiet.

And I heard from the Lord.  

I wonder if the purpose of quietness is to listen better, to hear more.  To focus on God more, and me less.  

Yes, I'm sure that's the purpose.  

How about you?  Could you take a day, set aside some time, and sit in quietness?  Can you listen for God's voice?  Can you be confident, trust in his peace, as you refrain from talking?  

If you decide to try, let me know.  I'd love to hear the blessings you received as a result.

No comments:

Post a Comment