Saturday, December 14, 2013

Today I Will Be Different

I go through stages in my life.  Cycles, if you will.  There is one stage that continues to rear its ugly head.  I never quite overcome it or get through it.  I can put it to the side, try to forget about it for awhile, but somehow, some way, it always comes back.  And I struggle through it again.

It's a stage of self-destruction.  Of self-loathing, almost.  It's a stage of thinking, thinking, thinking of myself.  Not in a big-headed way.  Actually, almost the opposite.  But still, it's a self-centered thing.  It is a stage where I wallow.  I think of myself, of my faults and weaknesses, incessantly.  I have a hard time getting to the other side of it.

Every morning, I wake up and I think, today I will be different.  Today I will think differently.  I will act differently.  I will BE different.

It's not long before I realize that today is just like every other day.  I still bit my kid's head off.  I still was lazy.  I still accomplished nothing.  I still ate too much.  Drank too much diet pop.  Spent too much time on Pinterest.

And I get so frustrated with myself.  I mean, SO frustrated.  That loathing I mentioned earlier?  Oh yeah.  That's the word.  And so I go to bed, and I think, tomorrow I will be different.  And in the morning I wake up and I think, today's the day.  Today I will be different.

And the cycle begins again.  Aristotle said, "We are what we continually do.  Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  I read things like that, and I think, crap!  I have no hope!  Because my habits are horrible! 

So tonight I was thinking about all this (notice that I am clearly in that self-centered stage right now) and I wondered two things:  what would happen if I just quit trying to be different?  And, what if I'm just different right now?

As a Christian, what would happen if I just quit trying to be what I think I'm supposed to be, and literally, moment-by-moment, with a fervent zeal and all-encompassing passion - turn to God?  What if I ask him what to wear, what to eat, what to do?  What if I just admit that I am weak and stupid and honestly cannot handle my own life?  What if I just run to him like a little child, confessing my faults and weaknesses and self-loathing and self-hatred and just bawl like the stinking baby that I am?

Or . . .

What if I took the attitude that I'm not going to be different all day . . . but just for this moment.  What if I just go slowly, take a deep breath, realize that not every sensation has to be experienced right now.  What if I realized that I can stop myself from biting at my loved ones but I can't take it back once it's done?  Or how about if I realized that chocolate will still taste like chocolate tomorrow?  Or what if I remember that Pinterest, for all its inspiration, just makes me feel frustrated?  What if I take all of those individual moments and just respond differently . . . once?  By turning over my choices and my actions and my habits to God?  Moment by moment.

Clearly, either reaction to my life takes me in the same direction - to my maker and my creator.  But doing the same thing - going through this same self-destructive cycle - simply has me running in circles. 

So can I combine these two thoughts?  Can I resolve to stop trying, and at the same time, turn each moment into a God sighting? 

This is me being raw, completely transparent:  I don't know if I can do it.  I'm so deeply ingrained in the self cycle that I don't know if I can stop.  But I do know this:  putting it out there is a good first step.  Inviting God to be the impetus is good.  Narrowing my focus to Him and not to me - that works. 

But for how long?

Because that's the real thing, right?  We take on new habits, resolutions - especially this time of year.  We resolve to eat right, exercise, love our neighbor, give more.  But in a few weeks . . . here comes the old us again.

Maybe I am the only one who does this.   I have a feeling that I am not, but even if I am, that's ok.  I'm putting it out there.  I'm taking a step. 

Maybe the battle isn't won in big leaps and bounds, but in one small step.  One step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment