Thursday, December 10, 2009

Baby It's Cold Outside

I write this from the 32nd floor of the Marriott Hotel in Chicago, Illinois.  It's snowy, cold, and windy.  Really windy.  I expect to see cows blowing by at any moment.  (Remember the movie Twister?) 

There are several spiritual lessons I am taking from this weather.  First of all, I kind of asked for it.  I love winter!  I love snow, and I love Chicago, so I'm not going to complain.  At least not so anyone can hear me and subsequently throw it back in my face.  Just kidding.  But seriously, I'm reminded that God doesn't always save us from what we ask for.  Sometimes He gives it to us or allows it to happen, even when He knows we'll complain later.  Or, He doesn't give us what we do ask for, because - as you know - He's Creator of the Universe and knows a bit more about what's going on then we do. 

Secondly, sometimes we have cold seasons in our life spiritually.  Times when, though it seems we are doing the same things we have always been doing, we are not having the same experience with God that we always had.  Our reaction can be to unravel; unless we are intentional about looking inward and upward, we take this cold season as an excuse to go do our own thing.  I love how Paul winds down 1 Corinthians, in chapter 16:  "Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love."

Being "on guard" has clear implications of being purposeful and meaningful.  If we are not allowing God to change us, we enter a cold season where we slow down spiritually, even reaching the point of death. 

Sometimes we also confuse a cold season with a waiting season; or should I say, sometimes a waiting season becomes a cold season.  We become frustrated with God, thinking that we should looking for the open door or window.  But sometimes God tells us to wait!  We all know the Isaiah 40:31 verse:  "But they who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run and not grow weary; they shall walk and not grow faint."  That is the King James version; the NIV says that they who "hope" in the Lord shall renew their strength.  Waiting is not a passive activity. 

Think of how your children are waiting for Christmas to get here.  They are expectant, eyes open, always looking for signs that it's getting closer and closer.  That's how we wait for God.  It's an awesome thing, and we have to be careful to not look at it as a . . . . bummer.  !!!!  Waiting on Him is hoping in Him.

Well, speaking of Christmas, I'll be writing about it over the next several days.  Hope you'll join me!

   

No comments:

Post a Comment