Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Love Is . . .

It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  1 Corinthians 13:4

It is hard to read these verses about love and not think about how faulty my love is!  Yet I remember, God does not call me to action that he will not prepare me to take.  He is always working on me, in me, and through me.  He is developing the love within me that he ultimately wants to see.  (He's so cool!!!!)

I could think that this part of this verse doesn't apply to me, because if I was going to envy or boast, it wouldn't be with people I love.  If I was going to be proud of my accomplishments or something that I am, I wouldn't boast to my friends.

But . . . love is not just for my friends.  It's not just for my family.  So when I look across the room and see someone who has more than I do, and I'm envying, even if it's someone I don't know - I'm still called to love them.  I'm called to love everyone.  The person at Walmart, at the gas station, on the street corner.  Everywhere I look, everyone I see.

And yet, if I'm being completely honest, I would have to admit that envy, boasting, and pride are part of my love relationships, too.  Am I ever jealous of my friend's success?  Sure.  Do I ever brag about myself to them?  Yes.  Do I ever allow pride to inhibit me from sincerity or true humility?  Uhhhh, yes . . .

So if love is NOT those things, that means love is the opposite of those things.  I looked up antonyms for these words.  The opposite of envy?  Contentedness.  The opposite of boast?  Modesty.  The opposite of pride?  Humility. 

So love is content.  It's modest.  It's humble.  First of all, I think of how these words describe Christ.  Second, there is no way I can develop those qualities on my own.  Only through Christ living in me.  And finally, a reminder.  God will not require characteristics in us that he will not develop.

Isn't he cool?

No comments:

Post a Comment