Monday, April 9, 2012

No Matter Where I Am

I am reading Psalm 139, one of my favorites. Today I am struck in a new way, by verses 7 - 10:

Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?
If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
if I settle on the far side of the sea,
even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast.

No matter where I am, He sees me. He knows me. He knows my thoughts and he know my heart. He knows my strengths and he knows my weaknesses. He knows me.

Verse 13 goes even farther; not only does he know me. He created me. Created these strengths. And these weaknesses. He created the very heart that He allows to turn against him. My heart that is so faulty, fallible, sinful. My heart that is often so full of love and praise, and so full of sin.

At times I can be my own worst enemy. I see the things that I don't like and I magnify them to impossible proportions. I do the same thing with things I do like.

But here's what I know: when my life gets out of balance - when I get out of balance - my God knows. He is there. He is here! He knows my thoughts, hears my prayers, and loves me. No matter what.

That Psalm ends special, too. Here's how the New Living Translation reads:

Search me, O God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.
Point out anything in me that offends you,
and lead me along the path of everlasting life.

When I invite him to search me, to point out anything I need changed, he'll do it. But he doesn't say, fix this, fix that. He says . . . let me.

So today, I let him. And tomorrow, I pray for the strength and wisdom to ask again, and let him again.

No comments:

Post a Comment