Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Wait

I gave someone a piece of advice this week.

Are you shocked? That I had an opinion?

I try not to give advice unless it is asked for. But occasionally, I just can't help myself.

So I gave advice. My friend was wondering when their current situation would be over. I know they've been crying out to God to end their suffering, take away their pain, and help them move on to happy, good times.

My advice? Stop trying to get it to end. Start asking God how he can be glorified through it, instead.

Not all periods of suffering are meant to just go away. Sometimes we have to stay there for awhile, to learn what God has us to learn. And if all our energy is spent trying to get away from the bad, we'll never get to the good.

You know that saying, "When God closes a door, He opens a window"?

I hate that saying.

Because that's not my experience. In my experience, sometimes God closes the door and locks it. Sometimes He shuts the windows and nails them closed. Sometimes He turns off the lights, closes the drapes, and tells us to sit down, be quiet and wait.

There's a scripture that is much loved: Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. That's the modern version of Isaiah 40:31. But look at the older version:
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

Do you see what I see there? "They that wait."

Hope. Wait. What do those words have in common? I think it's another word: trust. That's the key. The key is trusting that God will take care of us, no matter what happens. Is is trusting that no matter what the circumstances show, God loves us. God is good, even when life is bad.

Do you believe that today?

God is good. All the time. And all the time - He is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment