Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Kind of Healthcare We Really Need

"Praise the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits-who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases."  Psalm 103:2-3

I'm sitting here listening to the debate in Congress on the healthcare bill.  Grrrr . . . I really cannot even comment on that.  But this debate over the preceding months has really made me think about the role of healthcare in our lives.  Not just physical health, but emotional, spiritual and mental health, also. 

In our lives we need the ultimate Doctor - the Great Physician.  No health care bill, no government regulation, no medical practitioner can come close to providing the kind of healing we truly need. 

There's only one Doctor with real x-rays, vision that sees clear down beyond bone and mass to the true heart of the person.  This Doctor doesn't need tests, a prescription pad, or medicines.  He doesn't need to figure out the problem.  He knows the problem.  And He has the answer.

God knows it all, you know?  I mean, I know that you know, I know that I know . . . but do you really know?  When you are at the doctor, awaiting a diagnosis with sweaty palms and a worried heart . . . He already knows.   When your marriage is rocky, and you don't know what to say or which way to turn . . . He already has a plan.  When your future seems uncertain, and your path seems rocky . . . He has already created the way. 

Knowing this about Him, why would we ever want to trust anyone else?  I've been blessed with a great doctor, and a great surgeon that I have had to use over the last couple of years.  I trust them.  They have proven themselves to be true to me.  But I trust God so much more!  He has proven Himself to be faithful and true time after time. 

Those aren't just adjectives.  "Faithful" and "True" are actually His names, did you know that?    In Revelation 19:11, it says "I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True."  That rider is Jesus!  And what a joy to know that the words used to describe Him, describe Him so completely that they are His names!  That's awesome!

If we trust our health to our doctors, even our legislators - is there any reason to not trust God?  He alone heals completely, sustainably, and eternally.  He heals the true hurts - not just putting bandaids on mortal wounds.  He is the one who said, "As for you, I'll come with healing, curing the incurable, because they all gave up on you and dismissed you as hopeless . . . I'll turn things around for Jacob, I'll compassionately come in and rebuild homes.  The town will be rebuilt on its old foundations, the mansions will be splendid again.  Thanksgivings will pour out of the windows, laughter will spill through the doors.  Things will get better and better.  Depression days are over."  Jeremiah 30:17-20, the Message

He can do it.  Will you trust Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment