Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Sleep

"Oh, thank God—he's so good! His love never runs out.  All of you set free by God, tell the world! Tell how he freed you from oppression, Then rounded you up from all over the place, from the four winds, from the seven seas. Some of you wandered for years in the desert, looking but not finding a good place to live, Half-starved and parched with thirst, staggering and stumbling, on the brink of exhaustion. Then, in your desperate condition, you called out to God. He got you out in the nick of time; He put your feet on a wonderful road that took you straight to a good place to live. So thank God for his marvelous love,
for his miracle mercy to the children he loves. He poured great draughts of water down parched throats; the starved and hungry got plenty to eat."  Psalm 107:1-9, The Message

I am exhausted.  I'm out of town, haven't slept the whole time we've been gone, and I'm just at the end of my rope.  It's hard to have fun and enjoy the time with your family when you're tired.  Everyone wonders why I'm so grouchy . . . but I haven't been able to sleep!

So I feel desperate this morning, and find myself calling out to God for sustainance.  I'm grateful that He's never tired, that his attitude towards me isn't based on his level of exhaustion.  I'm glad my performance has no impact on his outlook. 

But there are times I need real, practical help from Him.  Help that isn't spiritual, emotional, or mental - I just need sleep!  And if you've ever struggled with this, you know that the more tired you are, the harder it is to sleep (why is that?).  If I'm rambling today, hopefully you know why!

When you're tired, you don't think straight.  You're anxious, jittery.  Unable to follow through.  You're "nice" gene is hidden under your "GRRR!" gene.  You're prone to repeat yourself.  You ache, everything hurts, and you're prone to repeat yourself.  ;0)

But through all this, God sustains.  First, God calls on us to get rest in the first place, just like Jesus did.  "The apostles gathered around Jesus and reported to him all they had done and taught. Then, because so many people were coming and going that they did not even have a chance to eat, he said to them, 'Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest.'  So they went away by themselves in a boat to a solitary place." 

Then, He gives us the rest we need.  Even if we are struggling with physical exhaustion, He quietly comes, making our hearts content, filling us with peace, soothing away the anxiety that comes with the package. 

So if you are thoroughly used up today, needing rest and renewal, just come to Him.  He can give you the rest you need. 

No comments:

Post a Comment