Monday, June 7, 2010

Sitting on the Branch

"In that day the Branch of the LORD will be beautiful and glorious, and the fruit of the land will be the pride and glory of the survivors in Israel."  Isaiah 4:2

I'm so glad to be online today!  Last night I got home from church and my email had been hacked!  Yikes!  Then I couldn't get on here to post today's thoughts.  Ahhh, the digital age . . .

Anyway, on to the Word.  Let's tear this verse a part a bit, shall we?  It's a short one, but a really good one!

The "Branch of the Lord" is the Messiah, Jesus Christ.  I had never heard of this reference to Jesus, but it is found several times in the Bible:  Isaiah 4:2 (obviously), Isaiah 11:1, Jeremiah 23:5, Zechariah 3:8, Zechariah 6:12-13, to name a few. 

In other words, the fruit of God - the tree of the Lifegiver - the offspring of the Almighty ... His day will be glorious!  These words give such hope!

It's such a contrast to the previous chapter, where Isaiah is really letting the Israelites have it!  And really, that's the hope - that God doesn't just have high expectations of us, He has the way for us to achieve the expectations!  Just as He promised in Philippians 4:13 - we can do "all things through Christ who gives us strength!"

To me, the word "branch" is such an interesting choice.  Branches provide protection, shelter, and resting places.  Jesus provides those same things for us!  Jesus is my protection.  Jesus is my shelter.  Jesus is my resting place!

This is a good day to remember to just sit on the Branch!  Don't go, don't do - just sit there today!  Let Him protect you.  Let Him shelter you.  Let Him give you rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment