Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Coming Out Of The Dark

The people walking in darkness
       have seen a great light;
       on those living in the land of the shadow of death
       a light has dawned.  Isaiah 9:2

When you read Isaiah as a whole you see that the people referred to here are the people of Israel and Judah, and the darkness could refer to both the physical and the spiritual; it could be either their captivity and sufferings or their decision for spiritual distance from God.

However, what I love about the Bible is that even "history" verses apply to us today.  Our world has been walking in darkness for an awful long time - maybe you have, too.  But the great light that Isaiah refers to is the Messiah.  He longs to trade out your sin-darkness for His life-light.

John 1:4-5 says this:  "In him was life, and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it."

John is talking about Jesus, of course, and how His light - just simply the radiance of His being - lights up the world.  Satan tries to surround us with darkness, so that we will be afraid.  Alone.  Ashamed.  Satan uses shadows to make the little things bigger than they are.  Satan - the angel of darkness - works to create a world around us that keeps us inept, insipid, and inefficient. 

Do you have shadows in your life today that you are not allowing God to shine through?  I can almost guarantee that the stuff you have buried back there won't seem so intimidating when you bring it out into the light.

Gloria Estefan has a great song called, "Coming Out of the Dark."  It's a deeply moving spiritual, whether or not she intended it for that purpose!  Here are the lyrics:

Why be afraid if I'm not alone?
Though life is never easy, the rest is unknown
Up to now, for me, it's been hands against stone
Spent each and ev'ry moment
Searching for what to believe

(Chorus:)
Coming out of the dark
I finally see the light now
And it's shining on me
Coming out of the dark

I know the love that saved me
You're sharing with me
Starting again is part of the plan
And I'll be so much stronger holding your hand

Step by step, I'll make it through; I know I can
It may not make it easier
But I have felt you near all the way

(Bridge:)
Forever and ever, I stand on the rock of your love
Forever and ever, I'll stand on the rock
Forever and ever, I stand on the rock of your love
Love is all it takes, no matter what we face
  

I'm making a commitment to God today to do everything I can to not hide things in the dark.  To be brave enough to let His light shine through my whole life, and to have the courage (this sounds kind of stupid!) to take my hands off and let HIM do all the work.  I just have to be obedient.  I just have to be willing.  I just have to be ready.

Will you commit with me? 

No comments:

Post a Comment