Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Eleventh Person of Christmas is Joseph's Angel

An angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, “Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit.  She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.” Matthew 1:20 - 21

We are not told this angel's name, as we are in Mary's and Zechariah's stories.  He could be the angel Gabriel, also, but . . . I like to think not.  I like to think that Joseph, in his exceedingly unique position, would have his own unique messenger.

He might have been another archangel, such as Michael.  We know that they are often sent as holy messengers.  I really have no clue. 

But here's what I do know.

This angel had a brotherhood with Joseph.  He had a kinship.  He seems like a big brother - watching, waiting, protecting.  Protecting not just Joseph, but the entire family.  Mary.  This tiny baby.

Remember, as I shared when I talked about the angel Gabriel - these angels already knew Jesus.  They had known Him, probably, for thousands of years. So this angel had more than just obedience to God going on here.  He had a personal, vested interest in keeping this family safe. 

And so he stayed with Joseph, continued to communicate with him, guide him.

It starts in Matthew 1, with the verses, above.  He, like Gabriel, tells Joseph what to name the baby,  He comes back in chapter 2, warning Joseph to run from Herod. 

Now we get to what I really love about this story, about this angel.  Matthew 2:13:  "Stay there until I tell you to return, because Herod is going to search for the child to kill him.” Until I tell you.  That's quite a promise!  It's one thing for a heavenly messenger to come and give you a message from God.  It's another thing when he comes again!  But it's an entirely crazy, chaotic, passionate thing when the angel says, I've got your back.  I'm staying around, I'm watching out for you, and I'll let you know what to do next.

Can. You. Imagine.   Can you imagine the sense of urgency this angel had, the way he might have spoken to Joseph?  The first time, he would have been comforting, full of grace and love.  This time, I think he was in full warrior mode!

"Joseph.  Joseph!!  Get up!  You must run.  Run, Joseph!!  Take Mary and the baby and run!!  Go to Egypt, and don't leave until I tell you.  Let's go - let's go!"

This unnamed angel is important to the Christmas story because he shows us the real, immediate danger this little family was in.  And yet, he also shows us how God was there, the whole time, watching, working, moving.  He didn't leave His Son and His parents in a dire predicament without hope, with no way out.

He gave them protection.  He gave them angelic warriors to comfort them, guide them. 

You know what?  I can't wait to meet this angel one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment