Friday, December 30, 2011

Rest

“Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest."  Mark 6:31   


I don't believe in New Year's resolutions.  In my opinion, they are a guilt-driven, short-term feel good mechanism that are most often doomed to failure.  


I do believe in goals though.  I do believe in growth.  I do believe we can change.


I just don't always believe that the change happens because we make it happen.  Sometimes it does, we all know that.  But sometimes our changes are because of what God does.  Not what we do.  Sometimes, we look back over the last few days, or weeks, months, years . . . and we realize how much we have changed.  We change without even noticing.


There are things God wants from us, and sometimes that involves purposefully working, disciplining ourselves to listen to Him, to honor and obey Him.


Having said all that, I have made a decision for myself.  A change I need to make that on the surface may seem selfish.  In fact, I've been thinking about this change for a long time, but was worried about what others would think about it.  


I'm learning to not care about what others think.  :0)

I'm not going to get into details about my change, but will just say this:  my change concerns rest.  Rest involves my physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual sides.  Rest is commanded and modeled by BOTH God and Jesus.  Rest is renewal.


So I'm making some changes, cutting back in some places, changing my schedule, to plan and make time for rest.  I must have it - we all must have it.


What is your plan for 2012?  Do you make resolutions?  What areas are you thinking about changing?

No comments:

Post a Comment