Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Lavish Update

When this year began, I wanted to choose a word that I would strive to focus on for the next twelve months.  If you have been reading this blog, you know I chose the word "lavish" and I've been working on ways to lavish all kinds of things on my family, my friends, and the people around me.

Something amazingly unexpected has happened.

My goal was to make the lives of others richer, fuller.  My goal was to lavish on others the way God has lavished on me.  His love, his attention, his kindness, his grace . . . the list of his gifts to me goes on and on.  I honestly expected that I would work hard to be a blessing to others and their lives would be changed. 

Who do I think I am?

I don't think I have changed anyone's life.  And suddenly it doesn't matter.  Because you know what?  I'm the one who is changed!

I have been radically, almost violently, blessed this year.  I mean, in a way that totally interferes with my life and my space and my outlook - blessed.  Knock my socks off blessed.  Can't wrap my mind around it blessed.  Don't understand it blessed.

Blessed.

I thought I could lavish on others.  Instead, others have been lavishing on me!  It gets better and better every day.  They've been pointing me to Christ, showing me how he showers on me - his love, his attention, his kindness, his grace . . .

An immediate, hindering thought occurs.  I've had a some hurts this year.  Some knock downs.  Some punches.  What about those?  What's amazing is this - the more I think about his gifts, the more I don't think about the hurts.  His gifts are greater than anything in the world.

His love, his attention, his kindness, his grace . . .

The list goes on and on.

Thank you, God, for lavishing on me.  Thank you for using people, people who showed me warmth and acceptance and . . . love, attention, kindness, grace . . . the list goes on and on.  All these gifts that you give freely, you often give through others.  So use me, please?  Let me try - just try - to bless others half as much as you've blessed me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment