Tuesday, April 15, 2014

What Does Judas Have to Teach Us?

Yesterday, at the end of my Isaiah bible study, I read out of John chapter 12, the story of Mary pouring perfume over Jesus' feet.  We had been studying Isaiah 30-31, which contains Messiah prophecies, and with this being Holy Week, I didn't want to miss an opportunity to talk about what the days of this week mean to us.

Six days before the Passover, Jesus came to Bethany, where Lazarus lived, whom Jesus had raised from the dead. Here a dinner was given in Jesus’ honor. Martha served, while Lazarus was among those reclining at the table with him. Then Mary took about a pint of pure nard, an expensive perfume; she poured it on Jesus’ feet and wiped his feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume.
Although I have known this particular story forever, something really stood out to me yesterday.  After Mary poured out the oil, wiping Jesus' feet with her hair, Judas Iscariot complained.  "That money could have been better spent!"

Now we know that Judas didn't care about the poor.  John minces no words - he was a thief.  The perfumed oil was worth a year's wages.  I imagine Judas dreaming about what he could have done with that money, if only it was used "properly." 

And so I got to thinking . . . am I like Mary?  Or am I like Judas?

What if this story happened today?  What if one person wanted to pour their whole lives out to Christ?  Would there be another one standing by who would criticize?  Come on.  Let's be honest.  Of course there would be someone criticizing.  The question is, which one are you?

It's easy for the modern Christian to dismiss Judas as evil or even possessed.  We cannot imagine identifying with someone like him.  But . . .

Let's think this through . . .

Are you robbing from God?  And I'm not even talking about the easiest option, money.  Let's put that aside.  Are you holding something back from him?  Your time?  Your abilities?  Your attitudes?  Are you holding onto something instead of allowing him to take it, wash it, transform it?

I have a sneaking suspicion that the spirit of Judas is alive and well in many a church today.  In many a Christian.  Whether you will admit it or not, many of us are like him - complaining about decisions, holding ourselves back, twisting our very hearts from the truth. 

I want to be like Mary.

I want to pour myself out for Him, allowing the very truth of His presence to permeate my life.  I want my home, my life, to be filled with the fragrant perfume of His love, living in me. 

I know I fall short of that, so often.  I'm so easily irritated, so very willing to complain when things around me are not handled the way I think they should be.  I'd better face facts - I complain when things are not handled my way. 

My way . . .

Is that where the seeds of rebellion began to take root in Judas' heart and life?  Did he have a "my way or the highway" attitude? 

Do you?

This Easter week, spend some time in prayerful reflection.  If you will look internally with Spirit-filled eyes, I believe that you, like me, will find some ugliness inside.  An attitude, a belief, or even an outright sin.  You have tried to hide it, to pretend it isn't there.  But it is there, and anything that you withhold from God influences you.  Even when you try to pretend it isn't there. 

I want to be like Mary.  I want to pour out my life as a fragrant offering for my Savior.  Today, I want to allow Christ to cleanse me of any part of me that may be like Judas.  Anything that will allow seeds of rebellion to take root in my heart.

Will you join me in this prayer?  Lord, cleanse me today.  Make me new.  Create in me a clean heart, and renew a steadfast spirit in me.  Pour your Holy Spirit over my life.  Especially this week, as I reflect on all this Easter may have in store for me, take me and use me.  Amen. 



  

No comments:

Post a Comment