Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Sixth Sense

"You shall not murder."  Exodus 20:13

I love how these next few commandments are so direct, to the point.  No promises of a good life; rather, it's  more of a "just do it" kind of attitude from God.  This seems so black and white, doesn't it?  But today's sinful world has managed to make even murder wishy washy and all kinds of shades of grey.

I assume if you are reading this blog, you are a Christian.  And if you are a Christian, I assume (although I'm not sure I should) that you are pro-life.  I believe that life begins at conception.  I believe that because the Bible says so.  We all know the wonderful verse in Psalms 139:  "For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well."  But did you know those words, that attitude, is scattered throughout the Bible?  Look at Job 10:10-12:   "Did you not pour me out like milk and curdle me like cheese, clothe me with skin and flesh and knit me together with bones and sinews?  You gave me life and showed me kindness, and in your providence watched over my spirit."  Therefore if we are Christians, and we believe that the Bible is wholly true, we cannot for a moment doubt that life begins at conception.











Nor can we doubt that only God can choose the time of our death.  Ecclesiastes 3:2 says there is "a time to be born and a time to die."  It is God who saves us from death or allows death to take us.  Job is full of those examples - he was urged to beg God for death, and did in fact do so, but God was not ready for that yet.  Therefore if we are Christians, and we believe that the Bible is wholly true, we cannot for a moment doubt that it is not our decision to take life from another, or even from ourselves.



Seems as if life, murder, death are pretty clear cut for Christians then, huh?  But have you ever thought about reckless behavior being a sin?  Speeding, distracted or impaired driving, road rage - those are all behaviors that at times could push us to the brink of death, or create someone else's death because of our actions.  So when is the behavior wrong - when death occurs, or when life is put in danger?

OUCH!!  Lead foot, right here.  Texting while driving?  Uh-huh.  Road rage?  I'd prefer not to answer that question.  As I'm writing, and thinking over things, I'm realizing how many times I have put myself and others in danger by not being in control of my behavior while driving. 

It's not just driving obstacles that cause danger.  Have you thought about the angry words you have spoken before you stormed away from someone?  Did you kill someone's feelings, someone's love, or worse - someone's desire for Christ because of your selfish and sinful actions and attitudes? 

Boy oh boy.  Not a fun topic to ponder on, huh?  My point is that without even realizing it, we can kind of check off this commandment as a no-brainer.  But maybe we should take a closer look.  Taking responsibility for our actions before there is danger is the key to making this commandment a priority in our lives.  There can be physical danger, verbal danger, emotional, mental, or spiritual danger.  The point of God's sixth commandment, to me, is to have self-control.  This of course lines up with scripture, such as the Fruit of the Spirit found in Galations 5:  "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law."  (verses 22-23.)

Make a special effort today to utilize self-control in all areas of your life!  Keep Blazing, will ya?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment