Friday, November 13, 2009

The End of Love as We Know It

Well . . . it's been a great day here.  Friday the 13th, bah ha ha ha!!  But, having so much greatness around me, I nearly forgot to write!  But I couldn't let it go until Monday, because I'm so excited to finish this love chapter with you.

Yesterday I gave you a few suppositions.  First, that love is a verb.  Second, that love changes because you change.  And third, there are many, many ways to express this love.  But let's move on to the most important truth, as found in verse 8:  "Love never fails."

Are you like me, squirming in my chair, feeling very uncomfortable right now?  Because, just like yesterday's post, I love people . . . but I fail.  And therefore my love fails.  It's enough to want to make us throw in the towel!  But remember, love grows as my knowledge grows.  I may make mistakes in my love, but when I am choosing to love in a way that is consistent with shedding yesterday and embracing today, that is patient and kind, all the definitions from the previous paragraph . . . then I know that my love is not failing.  My body, my mind, my emotions, my intellect . . . all those things may fail.  But love does not.

This is a reminder to us that we can have this kind of love because of God's love.  Remember 1 John 4:7-12:  "Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us." 

God gives us the standard for love by His love for us.  He's not asking us to do something that He hasn't already done.  In fact, He's done it, He's doing it, and He'll continue to do it for eternity!  So remember that love never fails, because He never fails.  We do.  True, God-seeking, heart-driven, soul-searching love?  Never fails.

I spent a lot of time on those three little words:  Love never fails.  So we'll have to finish up the chapter next week.  Until then friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment