Friday, November 6, 2009

To Put It All In Perspective . . .

Well, we have come to the end of our first series, The Ten Commandments.  I hope you got something out of it.  You know, I started this because I felt led by God.  I'd like these devotionals to touch others and point them back towards God.  So please tell your friends, pass them on, whatever . . . also, feel free to leave me a comment at any time!  I worry about being too long . . . if you think so, just let me know!  I can handle it, sniff sniff.  Just kidding!  I value your input.

Anyway, I hope you have learned, as I have, that the purpose, the value, and the result of the Ten Commandments is the same thing - love.  God loved us  enough to give them to us in the first place.  We show our love for Him by honoring and obeying.  Our love for each other grows as we obey God and honor each commandment.  Isn't that amazing?  God knew when he gave these Commandments to us how much better, fuller and richer our lives would be by obeying ten simple rules.

And yet, we fight God on this.  We even resist the thought that God did it for love's sake, as opposed to doing it for the sake of rules.  We throw out the Old Testament, viewing it as antiquated, the old law, not relevant in today's society.  I hope you have seen just how wrong we have been.  I'm confessing myself that in my walk I have not spent much time thinking about the Ten Commandments.  Now that I've studied them, they are always in my mind! 

You would think I'd have them memorized by now, but I don't.  That is my next goal.  To memorize them, in order.  We should constantly be memorizing scripture so that we can pray and meditate on it throughout the day.  I know for myself, Exodus 20 is my next goal! 

Just remember, it's all about love.  It's never about rules.  It's about seeing and living a love so passionate and fiery that everyone will see it. 

Next week, I'm going to start a series on 1 Corinthians.  I'm not going verse by verse or even chapter by chapter; in fact, I'm going to start in chapter 13, the "love" chapter.  Fitting, don't you think?  So I'll be jumping around a bit.  Will you join me next week?  Hope to see you here!

Keep blazing for God!

No comments:

Post a Comment