Tuesday, November 24, 2009

"Just because something is technically legal doesn't mean that it's spiritually appropriate. If I went around doing whatever I thought I could get by with, I'd be a slave to my whims." 1 Corinthians 6:12, The Message

It seems in this world, we're all looking for the most we can get away with.  How much can we drink, how much can we eat, how much can we say, before it's spiritually, morally and physically trouble? 

Why are we like that?  Do you ever wonder this?  Why do we want to walk so close to the line between heaven and hell?  I believe that in reality, though there's the saying "there's a thin line between love and hate," there's a huge chasm between heaven and hell.  We like to act as if there's just a line, but it's much more than that.

How do I know?  I know this - why would someone who loves God want to walk so close to the one thing He hates - sin?  Why would you want to tempt yourself to walk away from God?  God hates sin - it's black and white.  But God loves us - also black and white.  But as Paul says in the passage above, if I do whatever I want to do, I become a slave to whatever I want to do, and Jesus said that man cannot serve two masters.  He said in Matthew 6:24, "No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other."  In this case He was talking about money, but isn't it true with everything?

It could even be true of church.  Sometimes we become enslaved with the practices, rituals and piracy of church that have nothing to do with the Bride of Christ.  Those are the only things that should color our choices:  will the Bride be more radiant if I do this or that?  Not, "How much can I get away with and still go to heaven?"

Listen, I'm going to make a bold statement - if you hear me say the above, know this:  I can get away with nothing.  Because if I am trying to get away with stuff and still make it to heaven, I have lost my first love as the church in Ephesus did in Revelation 2.  Jesus said:  "I know your deeds, your hard work and your perseverance. I know that you cannot tolerate wicked men, that you have tested those who claim to be apostles but are not, and have found them false. You have persevered and have endured hardships for my name, and have not grown weary. Yet I hold this against you: You have forsaken your first love. Remember the height from which you have fallen! Repent and do the things you did at first."  Revelation 2:2-5 (emphasis mine.)

Not everything is spiritually beneficial, which tells me EVERYTHING we do - what we eat, what we drink, where we go, what we watch and hear - everything should be in line with God's word.  We should WANT to do what He wants us to do.  Otherwise, we have become lukewarm, and will be spit out of His mouth.

You know, that makes me think of something - lukewarm Christians.  And I'll have a whole other blog about that, tomorrow!      

No comments:

Post a Comment