Monday, July 26, 2010

Don't Worry, Be Happy

Last night, in the middle of the night, I was wakened by the gentle sounds of sawing lumber.  :0)  (The lumberjack shall remain nameless.)  And while I was awake, I started thinking of my worries.  Like, my son is going to Kentucky this week with his grandparents.  He'll be out on the lake with them, it will be hot, what if.....????  I can't even put those worries into words.  The next worry is financial - we need a new car.  We haven't had a car payment in years - at least 8 years.  What will a car payment do to our day-to-day living expenses?

And so, as my mind reeled, I had to pray words of peace.  Jesus.  Calm my heart.  Quiet my mind.  Be with me, stay with me.  Jesus.

It reminds me of the Christmas song by Amy Grant, "Breath of Heaven."  The song is from Mary's point of view, awaiting the birth of Jesus.  I know if God can calm her fears - and hers were so much more reality-based than mine! - then He can definitely take care of mine!

When you're overcome with worries, what do you do?  Sometimes we don't even know what to say, and that's ok.  Romans 8:26 says, "We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express."

Just say His name, and let the worries roll away.  Just focus your thoughts on Him, and worry can't take root.  Just be with Him, and let Him be with you.

Hope your week is starting off in a wonderful way!  Below are the lyrics to Breath of Heaven:

I have traveled, many moonless nights
Cold and weary, with a babe inside.
And I wonder, what I've done.
Holy Father, You have come.
Chosen me now, to carry Your Son.

I am waiting, in a silent prayer.
I am frightened, by the load I bear.
In a world as cold as stone . . .
Must I walk this path alone?
Be with me now, be with me now.

Breath of Heaven, hold me together
Be forever with me, Breath of Heaven.
Breath of Heaven, light in my darkness
Pour over me Your holiness,
For you are holy
Breath of Heaven.

Do you wonder, as you watch my face?
If a wiser one, could have had my place?
Yet I offer all I am
For the mercy of Your plan!
Help me be strong . . .
Help me be . . .
Help me . . .

Breath of Heaven, hold me together
Be forever near me, Breath of Heaven.
Breath of Heaven, light in my darkness
Pour over me Your holiness,
For You are holy.
Breath of heaven. 

No comments:

Post a Comment