Wednesday, March 23, 2011

We are a Holy People

To the church of God in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus and called to be his holy people, together with all those everywhere who call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ—their Lord and ours: 1 Corinthians 1:2

This verse calls together a number of the attributes we have talked about this month. We are called to be different. Sanctified. Holy.

I'm going to speak about the church today. It must grieve God endlessly to see the state of the church sometimes. Fighting. Selfishness. Politics. Corruption. Let's just call it what it is - sin!

There is nothing we will ever do about having sinful people in the church. We ARE all sinners, and therefore even those called and saved will mess up.

But sinners saved by grace shouldn't be led by sin. They shouldn't be led by self. That's the same thing as being called by Satan.

I'm not at home right now, and I wish I was because I would quote Francis Chan from the book, "Forgotten God.". He talks about what the church could be, should be, and in some cases, truly is.

That church is motivated by love, not money. That church is called by Christ, not by self. That church is known for doing good, reaching the lost, feeding the hungry. That church is built upon the Rock.

Holiness is a constant turning to Christ. It's nothing we can do on our own. It's falling on our faces before God, distressing over our sin, and working side by side in humble gratitude for His mercy.

2 Chronicles 7:14 says, "If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

There is a Puritan prayer that I love. They were a people who were truly horrified over their sin. When I read that in a book, I thought, when was the last time I was horrified - about my own sin? I'm horrified over murders, child abuse, etc. But my own sin?

Unmask me from sins deformity
That I may hate it, abhor it, flee from it.
Let me never forget that the heinousness of sin
Lies not so much in the nature of the sin committed,
But in the greatness of the person sinned against.

No comments:

Post a Comment