Friday, March 18, 2011

We are Redeemed

You stretch out your right hand,
   and the earth swallows your enemies.
In your unfailing love you will lead
   the people you have redeemed.
In your strength you will guide them
   to your holy dwelling.  Exodus 15:12-13

Ahh, redeemed.  I just love that word.  Dictionary.com defines it as "to buy or pay off; clear by payment."  Then there is the theology definition:  "to deliver from sin and its consequences by means of a sacrifice offered for the sinner."  

Same thing, to me.  I was paid for.  I was cleared.  Isn't it amazing that as Moses and the Israelites sang this song, thousands of years before the birth of the Messiah, they were already claiming redemption?

How did God redeem the Hebrews?  He delivered them from the Egyptians.  Over and over, He cleared them of their sins, made them new.  

The thing about God's redemption - you can't earn it.  Can't pay for it.  Can't have enough money in the world to buy it.  It's the most valuable, the most priceless gift in the world - and it's free.  It came at a cost, don't get me wrong - but for you, and for me, it's free.

We are redeemed.  Remember this old hymn:

Redeemed, how I love to proclaim it
Redeemed by the blood of the Lamb
Redeemed through His infinite mercy
His child and forever I am

Redeemed, redeemed
Redeemed by the blood of the Lamb
Redeemed, redeemed, 
His child and forever I am.

I think of my blessed Redeemer,
I think of Him all the day long:
I sing, for I cannot be silent;
His love is the theme of my song.

I know there’s a crown that is waiting,
In yonder bright mansion for me,
And soon, with the spirits made perfect,
At home with the Lord I shall be.


No comments:

Post a Comment