Friday, March 25, 2011

He is Delighted in Me

 17 “He reached down from on high and took hold of me;
   he drew me out of deep waters.
18 He rescued me from my powerful enemy,
   from my foes, who were too strong for me.
19 They confronted me in the day of my disaster,
   but the LORD was my support.
20 He brought me out into a spacious place;
   he rescued me because he delighted in me.". 2 Samuel 22:17-20

This chapter is my favorite in the whole Bible. (and, just because I want you to know, the other chapters are Romans 8, Isaiah 40 and 43, Psalm 139, and the entire book of John ... I think that's it.)

This chapter is also where I got the phrase "the brightness of his presence." If you want to go all the way back to the beginning of this blog, you'll see why. See posts for October 11, 12, 13, 14, 2009.

This is a powerful piece of scripture. David describes himself as under attack, with nowhere to turn, until God comes flying to the rescue. Why does He rescue David? Because He is delighted with him.

Not just with him. He delights in all His creation. There's no one man or woman who deserves more favor than another. We are all the same at the foot of the cross. We all need a savior, a redeemer. We were all made in His image, created by Him, as we have studied this week.

To think that HE would find delight in me. ME. It's amazing,really. And it's just another example of how truly big He is.

Remember "great big God, little tiny me?" this great big God delights in us. That He could lower Himself to take pleasure in me . . . I'm not just talking love here. Delight takes love a step further. To me, delight means He enjoys me. He enjoys my victories. He enjoys seeing me draw closer to Him. He enjoys it when I first discover His Spirit, His Word. His son.

That huge God of the universe, who exists outside the rules of time and space, delights in us. Just try to live an ordinary day as you ponder that. I don't think you can do it. Living that truth makes us fly! Living that truth makes us want to do something special! Living that truth should make us realize just how valuable we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment