Friday, April 1, 2011

Jesus Arrested

Jesus, knowing all that was going to happen to him, went out and asked them, “Who is it you want?”
“Jesus of Nazareth,” they replied.
“I am he,” Jesus said. (And Judas the traitor was standing there with them.)  When Jesus said, “I am he,” they drew back and fell to the ground.
Again he asked them, “Who is it you want?”  “Jesus of Nazareth,” they said.
Jesus answered, “I told you that I am he. If you are looking for me, then let these men go.”  This happened so that the words he had spoken would be fulfilled: “I have not lost one of those you gave me.”   Then Simon Peter, who had a sword, drew it and struck the high priest’s servant, cutting off his right ear.(The servant’s name was Malchus.) Jesus commanded Peter, “Put your sword away! Shall I not drink the cup the Father has given me?”  Then the detachment of soldiers with its commander and the Jewish officials arrested Jesus. 
John 18:8-12

How amazing it is that Jesus didn't run.  Didn't hide.  Didn't try to deny who He was. 

Knowing, as it says in verse 8, all that was going to happen to Him.  He willingly, unflinchingly, courageously identified Himself as the one they were looking for.

What a man of courage.  So often, when I see Hollywood's portrayal of Jesus, He comes across as . . . well, to me He comes across as wimpy.  Quiet, demure, meek.  But that's not who I see here, do you?

I see a man who for three years has been telling those around Him who He was, what He was doing, who had sent Him.  I see a man who was so rooted in God the Father that to deny His role would have been worse than death.  I see a man who is strong.  A warrior.  A champion.

We all know that over the next 36 hours of Jesus' life, He is not going to seem like a champion to those around Him. 

But we know the truth.

This should get us excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Christ is - and was - and has always been - a warrior!  Our strong champion, who only limited Himself to this earth, who became the sacrificial lamb, so that He could ultimately win!

Jesus Christ willingly took the steps.  When He was called to identify Himself, He stepped forward.

When you are called to identify with Him, do you step forward?  I have times in my past that I am very ashamed of, when I hid from being identified with Christ.

But for me, that's all changed.  I proudly and humbly proclaim myself a Christian.  He was not ashamed of me.  I will not be ashamed of Him!!

We are all called, all the time, to identify with the one we serve.  So . . . what does the evidence of you life show?  You are identifying with God, or with Satan.  One or the other.  Black or white. 

Will you step forward?

No comments:

Post a Comment