Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Jesus' Clothes are Taken

When the soldiers crucified Jesus, they took his clothes, dividing them into four shares, one for each of them, with the undergarment remaining. This garment was seamless, woven in one piece from top to bottom.

“Let’s not tear it,” they said to one another. “Let’s decide by lot who will get it.”  This happened that the scripture might be fulfilled that said,  “They divided my clothes among them and cast lots for my garment.”
So this is what the soldiers did.

John 19:23-24

My poor Jesus.  In what other scenario could we have this feeling?  When I read this, I feel pity for the King.  The King of the Universe - and I know I say this all the time - who exists outside the confines of time, dimension, and space.  The one who should pity ME.  Yet when I read this, I pity Him.

It makes me so sorry - and so aware.  Sorry for my sin.  Aware of my guilt.  Sorry that he had to take my shame.  Aware that I am the only one who deserves humiliation for my sin.  Sorrow.  Awareness. 

I just become more and more word-less as these weeks go by.  His shame becomes too great to discuss.  The knowledge of his pain and humiliation becomes to overwhelming to dwell on. 

Yet I think he took my sin and shame and guilt, and took them on like a Boy Scout wears his badges over his chest.  I imagine Jesus showing his scars to someone, and saying, "See this one?  That's a deep one.  That's for Jennifer.  She was really lost for awhile.  But she found me again!  That's a good one!"

Now I know that's a HUGE simplification.  But I like it.  ;0)

In a couple of days - in blogland time - Jesus will be dead.  It's kind of rough to understand, that after all he's been through, he's still alive!  He should be dead by now, but even bearing the brunt of the responsibility of all the sin of all time hasn't killed him yet.  That makes me realize how powerful he was, even as a man!  It took all of Satan's weapons to kill him.  Every last one of them.

I want to end today with the scripture that prophesied today's passage, Psalm 22.  I'm sharing most of the whole thing, because it's just powerful, moving, gripping.  Hold fast to it today. 

 1 My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
   Why are you so far from saving me,
   so far from my cries of anguish?
2 My God, I cry out by day, but you do not answer,
   by night, but I find no rest.
 3 Yet you are enthroned as the Holy One;
   you are the one Israel praises.
4 In you our ancestors put their trust;
   they trusted and you delivered them.
5 To you they cried out and were saved;
   in you they trusted and were not put to shame.
 6 But I am a worm and not a man,
   scorned by everyone, despised by the people.
7 All who see me mock me;
   they hurl insults, shaking their heads.
8 “He trusts in the LORD,” they say,
   “let the LORD rescue him.
Let him deliver him,
   since he delights in him.”
 9 Yet you brought me out of the womb;
   you made me trust in you, even at my mother’s breast.
10 From birth I was cast on you;
   from my mother’s womb you have been my God.
 11 Do not be far from me,
   for trouble is near
   and there is no one to help.
 12 Many bulls surround me;
   strong bulls of Bashan encircle me.
13 Roaring lions that tear their prey
   open their mouths wide against me.
14 I am poured out like water,
   and all my bones are out of joint.
My heart has turned to wax;
   it has melted within me.
15 My mouth is dried up like a potsherd,
   and my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth;
   you lay me in the dust of death.
 16 Dogs surround me,
   a pack of villains encircles me;
   they pierce my hands and my feet.
17 All my bones are on display;
   people stare and gloat over me.
18 They divide my clothes among them
   and cast lots for my garment.

and ending with:

 29 All the rich of the earth will feast and worship;
   all who go down to the dust will kneel before him—
   those who cannot keep themselves alive.
30 Posterity will serve him;
   future generations will be told about the Lord.
31 They will proclaim his righteousness,
   declaring to a people yet unborn:
   He has done it!

No comments:

Post a Comment