Saturday, April 2, 2011

Jesus Questioned by Annas

Meanwhile, the high priest questioned Jesus about his disciples and his teaching.  “I have spoken openly to the world,” Jesus replied. “I always taught in synagogues or at the temple, where all the Jews come together. I said nothing in secret. Why question me? Ask those who heard me. Surely they know what I said.”

When Jesus said this, one of the officials nearby slapped him in the face. “Is this the way you answer the high priest?” he demanded. “If I said something wrong,” Jesus replied, “testify as to what is wrong. But if I spoke the truth, why did you strike me?”  Then Annas sent him bound to Caiaphas the high priest.  John 18:19-24

At this point of the Easter story, Jesus has been betrayed by Judas, abandoned by most of His disciples, denied by Peter, and is now arrested and under questioning.

If you have ever been in any of my classes, you've heard me say this:  Great big God, little tiny me.  I'm often struck by the vastness of God.  The Trinity, the Godhead, God the Father, God the Son, God the Spirit - they exist outsides the parameters of time and space.  They are eternal, omnipresent, omniscient.

That this great big God could choose to limit Himself to human-ness is more than I can understand. 

Christ, choosing to abandon His eternal self and be confined by earthly measures, was born as a baby, learned to walk and talk, and begin life as a simple human being.

The creator became the created. 

How did He manage to accept being abandoned, without being vengeful?  How did He manage to allow Himself to be arrested, without fighting back?  How He ever managed to stand before a sinful, traitorous, murderous man and be questioned - how did He do that?  How did He hold Himself back, answering questions without rage?  And then to be slapped?!?  Accused of disrespect?  How could it be? 

This is God the Son!!

When I am questioned by someone I don't want to be questioned by, I know somewhere in my subconscious I'm thinking, shut up!  Who do you think you are?  Don't question me.  When someone accuses me, or abandons me, or treats me in any way I don't want to be treated . . . well, I don't react well. 

But He . . . He just took it. 

He, who deserved royal treatment, was instead despised.  Rejected.  

The indignities He is going to face, as we all know, are going to get much, much worse.  This is just the beginning.  And yet, He faced them.  Head on.  No whining, no complaining.  No anger, no rage.  No show of force.  He just took it.

This great big God . . . took it. 

Amazing love, how can it be? 
That you my King should die for me. 
Amazing love, I know it's true. 
That it's my joy to honor you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment