Saturday, April 30, 2011

Jesus' Acts Cannot Be Contained

Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written.  John 21:25

Well, I can't believe this month is over.  It's been such a wonderful focus for me!  I've enjoyed this time tremendously.  I don't know if anyone ever even reads this blog - it really doesn't matter.  Making the commitment to do it has sent me into the Word day after day, and I have learned so much.

But now we come to the end of this particular story.  To me, this last sentence is the only "flowery" message John has written in this book.  His eyewitness account of the greatest life in history has been quite fact-based, evidence driven.  That's what makes his gospel so compelling to me!

But this last statement is a little different, and to me it shows just how much John has wanted to share his heart, his opinions, his thoughts - more than just the facts.  (Perhaps that is what his other letters were for!  lol) 

The Message version says it this way:  "If they were all written down, each of them, one by one, I can't imagine a world big enough to hold such a library of books."

That's an amazing thought.  And it holds an important promise, pointing us to the verse in 1 Corinthians 13:
Now we see things imperfectly as in a cloudy mirror, but then we will see everything with perfect clarity.  All that I know now is partial and incomplete, but then I will know everything completely . . . (verse 12)

I can't wait to get to heaven to see and hear and read all the other things Jesus did during His time on earth.  After a thousand years or so of listening to Him, maybe - just maybe! - I'll move on to John.  Then Peter.  Then Andrew - I'm really dying to talk to Andrew.  I can't wait to hear all the eyewitness accounts!

Then I'll share my own eyewitness account.  About what He did for me.  About how He changed my life.  About how he took my little, sinful heart, and filled it with love and forgiveness and grace.

I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment