Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Jesus Reinstates Peter

[Note:  I'm going to combine today's and tomorrow's post into one, because it really should be one!]

When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?”
“Yes, Lord,” he said, “you know that I love you.” Jesus said, “Feed my lambs.”
Again Jesus said, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
He answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Take care of my sheep.”
The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Feed my sheep. Very truly I tell you, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go.” Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. Then he said to him, “Follow me!”  John 21:15 - 19
This is an amazing passage of love, acceptance, and instruction.  Notice that, as Peter denied Jesus three times during His trial, so Jesus asks Peter this question three time.  Remember, three is the number that signifies God's will or purpose.  God used Peter's three denials to his better purpose; in the same way, Jesus is challenging Peter - three times - to a better purpose.

Let's look at what is similar in each case.  Jesus calls Peter, "Peter, son of John" each time.  Do you think that's significant?  I do.  I think it's Jesus being particular.  It's Jesus saying, I know exactly who you are and where you've been and what you've done.  Jesus is specifically calling Peter, son of John.  Not Peter, son of Joe.  Not Peter, son of Eli.  No - THIS Peter.  At THIS time. 

He also says, Do you love me each time.  Was this a little dig on Christ's part, a reminder that three times you denied me, so I'm asking you three times if you love me?  Maybe.  Not a dig in a negative, accusing way - God doesn't need to do that.  But maybe a reminder.  Maybe it's like this:  "Peter, you had three opportunities to stand up for me, to claim me.  Each time you failed.  I'm giving you three chances to change your mind here.  Three chances to say, no I don't love you.  No, I can't love you.  No, I'm going to turn away again."

The key here is that Peter is steadfast.  He responds the same way each time.  He is not bragging or being hypocritical.  He has learned a very, very tough lesson.

I like to imagine that this whole exchange happens around the fire, in front of all the other disciples, with everyone listening.  Because I think it's Jesus showing the other disciples that He has forgiven Peter, is bringing him back to restoration, and they should all continue doing the same.  It appears that, through this last week, they have all embraced Peter, and held him up with love and forgiveness, and for good reason - they all denied Jesus!  Peter is no worse than they are.

Jesus is establishing Peter as a leader in his kingdom.  What a blessing to know, that no matter how much you have let Him down, how greatly you've fallen, how much you have sinned, God will still use you.  He doesn't need your gifts, your talents or abilities - He has plenty of that, thank you!  He wants your heart.  Your sinful, fallen, incomplete heart.  That's how He builds His church.

There's a song that we sang a couple of weeks ago at church that had me weeping - during practice!  It's called "Take My Life."  One of the phrases is, "Take my heart it is your own, let it be your royal throne."  My heart - my sinful, fallen, incomplete heart.  For His royal throne - which Isaiah says is bigger than the circle of the earth - in my heart?  My sinful, fallen, incomplete heart? 

My first thought was how could God lower Himself to make my heart His throne.  Then I realized, He doesn't lower Himself.  He raises me up, to be closer to Him, more like Him, ready for Him. 

My sinful, fallen, incomplete heart - becomes a royal throne.  Peter's sinful, fallen, incomplete life - became the beginning of Christ's church. 


Take my life and let it be
consecrated, Lord, to Thee.
Take my moments and my days,
let them flow in ceaseless praise.
Take my hands and let them move
at the impulse of Thy love.
Take my feet and let them be
swift and beautiful for Thee.

Take my voice and let me sing
always, only for my King.
Take my lips and let them be
filled with messages from Thee.
Take my silver and my gold
not a mite would I withhold.
Take my intellect and use
every power as You choose.

::Chorus::
Here am I, all of me.
Take my life, it's all for Thee.

Take my will and make it Thine
it shall be no longer mine.
Take my heart it is Thine own
it shall be Thy royal throne.
Take my love, my Lord I pour
at Your feet its treasure store
Take myself and I will be
ever, only, all for Thee.
Take myself and I will be
ever, only, all for Thee.

Here am I, all of me.
Take my life, it's all for Thee.

No comments:

Post a Comment