Monday, January 31, 2011

God is the Ancient of Days

As I looked,   
  thrones were set in place,
   and the Ancient of Days took his seat.
His clothing was as white as snow;
   the hair of his head was white like wool.
His throne was flaming with fire,
   and its wheels were all ablaze.

Daniel 7:9

Sometimes, through these studies, I have been confused about whether the names refer to God or Jesus.  The beginning of this month was Alpha and Omega, which are really names for Jesus (and we will be studying them in February!).  At first, I admit, I thought, oh well, they are one and the same.

But they really aren't!  As complex as it is to think of the Trinity, the 3-in-1, at once one God and yet three separate individuals . . . that's exactly what they are.  And God the Father, God the Son, and God the Spirit are very unique and individual beings.

I had always thought of Ancient of Days being about Jesus, but upon doing some research, I realized it is a description of God the Father.  This name is used three times in the book of Daniel, and is used to describe God as an eternal being, without the definition of time or space.  Sound familiar?

If I have gotten anything out of this month's study on the names of God, it has been a reminder that is two-fold:  One, that He is absolutely everything that I need.  He is the abundance in every shortage.  He is the fulfillment of every need.  He is the luxury to my poverty.  He is the completeness to my inadequacy.  Simply within His character, He is my all in all.

Secondly, I have been absolutely reminded on a daily basis that He is eternal.  He is without pause.  He is endless.  He is without death, He is without end, He is without change. 

When I met my husband, he seemed like such a steady, rock-solid person.  I expected him to never change.  I wanted him to never change, to always be the same person, to always react the same way, to never be different.  I thought I needed him to be that so that I could count on him.

Guess what?  He's changed over the last 17 years.  And there have been times I have struggled with the changes.  But, that's what we as humans do.  We grow and change and mature, becoming who we were created to be.

But the Ancient of Days is already who He is.  He doesn't need to mature, He doesn't need to change, He doesn't need to grow.  He is already complete in and of Himself.

Do you get it?  Are you getting excited?  HE IS ALREADY EVERYTHING!!  The anxiety we battle over, the worries we wrestle with, the questions we struggle with . . . He is bigger than those things.  Why do we trust in anyone, and anything, other than the Ancient of Days?

Alcohol can't meet your need.  Food won't rest your worry.  Material things don't answer your questions.  Nothing will ever come close to fulfilling you like He will.

Think I'm preaching now???  You bet your sweet patootie I am!!!  How can I not be excited about Him?  How can I not want to tell the world? 

Here is a reminder of the names of God that we have studied this month.  I missed this past weekend, so when I get to those names I will list the scripture references in case you want to look them up.

Alpha
Omega
El
El Shaddai
Adonai
El-Elyon
El-Olam
Jehovah
Jehovah-Jireh
Jehovah-Rophe
Jehovah-Nissi
I AM
Abba
King
The Potter
Purifier
Jehovah-Maccaddeshem
Jehovah-Shammah
Jehovah-Shalom
Jehovah-Sabbaoth
El-Roi
Jehovah-Rohi  Psalm 23:1
Jehovah-Tsidkenu
Jehovah-Gmolah
Almighty
Eternal God
Everlasting Father
Judge Isaiah 33:22
Lord of Hosts
Merciful God Jeremiah 3:12
Ancient of Days

Starting tomorrow . . . the names of Jesus.  More to be excited about!

No comments:

Post a Comment