Thursday, January 20, 2011

God is Jehovah-Sabbaoth

Jehovah-Sabbaoth means the Lord of Hosts.  "Hosts" isn't about being good at hospitality.  In fact, in this case, being a good host does not evoke feelings of welcome or good!

Amos 4:13 says, "For behold, He who forms mountains, And creates the wind, Who declares to man what his thought is, And makes the morning darkness, Who treads the high places of the earth—The LORD God of hosts is His name."

Another prophet, Isaiah, put it this way:  "In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord sitting on a throne, high and lifted up, and the train of His robe filled the temple.  Above it stood seraphim; each one had six wings: with two he covered his face, with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew.  And one cried to another and said:  'Holy, holy, holy is the LORD of hosts; The whole earth is full of His glory!'”  

To me, these images describe a being of nearly unspeakable might, power, and glory.  He is sovereign!  He is omnipotent!  He is omniscient!

The Lord of Hosts is our warrior, leading His army to defeat the enemy and bring His people home.  The Lord of Hosts is who we turn to when all hope is gone, everything seems lost, and our enemies are all around us.  Proverbs 18:10 says, "The name of the Lord is a strong tower . . ."  When all else is gone, the Lord of Hosts is there.  Always protecting, always preserving, always persevering.  Even when we can't see with our earthly eyes, He is our warrior.

I've told this story before, but a few years ago I had emergency surgery for a bowel blockage.  As I was being wheeled on the gurney to the OR, I was singing the song based on the scripture from Isaiah:

I see the Lord, seated on the throne,
Exalted.
And the train of His robe,
Fills the temple with glory!
And the whole earth is filled, and the whole earth is filled, and the whole earth is filled
With His glory.

Holy.  Holy.  Holy.  Holy.
Holy is the Lord!

And you know what?  When I woke up in the recovery room, I was still singing the song.  He was my warrior when I wasn't even awake to know it.  And He's your warrior, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment