Saturday, January 8, 2011

God is Jehovah

Jehovah is another title sort of name.  In the coming days, you will see "Jehovah" paired with other names, such as Rophe, Gmolah - don't worry, I'll explain each day!

"Jehovah" is translated as "The Existing One" or "Lord." The chief meaning of Jehovah is derived from the Hebrew word Havah meaning "to be" or "to exist." It also suggests "to become" or specifically "to become known" — this denotes a God who reveals Himself unceasingly.  (from www.blueletterbible.org)

A God who reveals Himself unceasingly.  Wow.  What truth.  I've been a Christian for a long time, and I'm still learning more and more about Him.  As I become more mature, He reveals more of Himself to me.  And there's still so much to know!


Even these names are a learning time for me - Jehovah, Yahweh, Adonai - they are confusing.  One name was formed from the vowels of another name that was deemed too holy and sacred to be spoken.  Confusion!  (At least for my frail mind.)


But I can live with that.  I can keep trying to understand, because I want to know more and more about Him.  I want to know everything I can know!  And because He is Jehovah - the Lord everlasting, the Lord who reveals Himself - I am confident that He will have patience with me as I strive to know Him deeper and better.

No comments:

Post a Comment