Thursday, April 8, 2010

His Power, Our Action

When he saw Peter and John about to enter, he asked them for money. Peter looked straight at him, as did John. Then Peter said, "Look at us!" So the man gave them his attention, expecting to get something from them. Then Peter said, "Silver or gold I do not have, but what I have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk." Taking him by the right hand, he helped him up, and instantly the man's feet and ankles became strong. He jumped to his feet and began to walk. Then he went with them into the temple courts, walking and jumping, and praising God.  Acts 3:3-8

Our final action to discuss today is this:  "Taking him by the right hand, he helped him up . . . (verse 7)"  A commentary I read said that the power was Christ's, but the hand was Peter's.

What a joy we have in this lesson!!  We can really do some remarkable things for people.  But not for our glory, for His.

I think it's hard sometimes to differentiate when something is about me instead of God.  So often, I start off with the best intentions, really planning on making a difference for God's kingdom.  I'll have plans, I'll work hard, I'll do all I know to do . . . see the problem??  I, I, I!!!

God doesn't need me to help Him.  But He wants me to help Him.  But so often, I am running around making the plans, doing the work . . . and leaving Him completely out of it.  No wonder so many of my plans have flopped!

God will use my hand to help someone up.  But I have to make sure I remember that it's His power driving my hand.  The only way to ensure that I keep running on God's power is to make sure I'm consistently plugged into the source - Him.

Easy to say, right?  But how do I make sure that I do that?

It's NOT about having morning "devotionals."  You don't have to know me very long to know that I hate that terminology, because it evokes a picture of getting up early in the morning, reading a story, a Bible verse, saying a quick prayer, and getting on with our day.

Devotional is based on the word, devotion, which means "ardent, often selfless affection and dedication, as to a person or principle" according to the American Heritage Dictionary.  It's based on love - love as an action, love as a verb, love as an exertion of our will.  LOVE!!

I don't think your time with God should be limited to a half hour every morning.  I'm certainly not saying it's wrong to start your day that way - but keep it going!  Be with God all day!  Stay plugged in!  Talk to Him, and listen, all the time, all day long!

When you see me talking to myself in the car . . . and you will . . . I'm usually talking to Him.  OK, sometimes I'm talking to my imaginary friends.  ;0)  But usually I'm talking to Him.  And sometimes I'm crying.  And sometimes I'm laughing.  And sometimes I'm thinking.

But when I'm doing none of those things, when I'm not plugging into Him consistently through the day . . . I'm trying to work from my own power source.  That never ends well!

So join me, won't you?  Let's plug into the power source together.  Forget about trying to do, live, even breathe on your own!  Do it all through Him and for Him.  "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."  1 Corinthians 10:13

No comments:

Post a Comment