Friday, April 9, 2010

What's It All About?

Today's post is different than anything I've done before.  I'm not trying to teach or lead today.  I'm just sharing from my heart.

You know, I'm weak.  So weak I can't even begin to explain it.  I can be on a spiritual mountaintop one day, and down in the depths the next.  I'm realizing that I literally cannot go one minute of one day without Christ.  I mean, I've known that.  It's even in my blog description!  ;0)  But man . . . it's true.  So true.

And so I wonder . . . what is the purpose of so much of what I'm doing?  Is it eternal or temporal?  What's it going to take for me to live with my eyes on eternity, and not get caught up in the temporary?

I've been singing the song, "Homesick" by MercyMe for about two weeks now.  I can only cry when I hear it.  The chorus goes like this:

I close my eyes and I see your face
If home's where my heart is then I'm out of place
Lord, won't you give me strength to make it through somehow
I've never been more homesick than now

Man . . . that about sums it up.  I want to see Jesus.  I feel so out of place here sometimes.  But, at the same time, He put me here - right here, in this day, in this place, in the moment - for a reason.  And I get so caught up in the day to day that I forget the big picture.

Philippians 3:10 says, "I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death."  Philippians is such a great book, and the commentary at biblegateway.com says this:  "Thus he tells his (possibly) faltering and (apparently) feuding Philippian sisters and brothers that the future does not lie in embracing the past (vv. 4-6); rather, it lies altogether in knowing Christ now, even as that means knowing "the participation in his sufferings" (vv. 7-11); and such present "knowing" of Christ means that a certain prospect still lies in the future, where also lies the ultimate prize of knowing Christ forever (vv. 12-14)."

The future lies in today.  Our bible study last night talked about how lives are made of days.  How you spend your days .... you spend your life.  I can be homesick, and should be homesick for my eternal home.  But I was put here, today, now.  So when I look at things I'm working on, like our church directory, or decorating my house, or hear scuttlebutt around the church, like personality conflicts, I think . . . am I stupid?  Ignorant?  Spiritually stalled?  Or worse?

Huh.  The future lies in today.  Our bible study this week talked about how lives are made of days.  How you spend your days .... you spend your life.  I can be homesick, and should be homesick for my eternal home.  But I was put here, today, now.  So when I look at things I'm working on, like our church directory, or decorating my house, or hear scuttlebutt around the church, like personality conflicts, I think . . . This is how I spend my days . . .am I stupid?  Ignorant?  Spiritually stalled?  Or worse?


Because you know what?  Who cares?  Does God care about the church directory?  Does He care about decorating and softball teams and small groups and fellowship?  Of course, the answer is yes, because I know He cares about what I care about . . . but isn't that backwards?  Shouldn't the story of my life be that I care about what He cares about??  And what does He care about?

I guess that's it.  That's where I am today.  Weak.  Homesick.  Ready to know Christ better today than I did yesterday.

How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment