Friday, April 30, 2010

It's a Good Thing

"God proves to be good to the man who passionately waits,
   to the woman who diligently seeks.
It's a good thing to quietly hope,
   quietly hope for help from God.
It's a good thing when you're young
   to stick it out through the hard times."  Lamentations 3:25

Since the weather has gotten warmer, my son has personified this verse.  Well, sort of.  It's not about God.  It's about wearing shorts. 

Every day he wakes himself up at 6:45 and goes into the living room to turn on the TV and check the weather on the news.  I didn't even realize he was doing this until this week, when every day we have had a discussion on what he has seen on the news.  (Not sure what to think about that!)  This morning he came into our bathroom as the hubster and I were getting ready to tell us the latest on the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico!

It's important to him to check the weather every day.  He is passionate, he is diligent, he is sticking it out because he has hope . . . that he can wear shorts.  That's what it is all about for him.  He knows it has to be at least 50 degrees when he gets up and it has to a forecast of mid-60s or higher for him to be able to wear shorts. 

What can I say?  I gave birth to a bum.  Shorts and flip flops are all he wants to wear!

This morning I wondered if I have that kind of diligence with God.  Do I wake up with the expectancy of meeting God?  Do I have passion, diligence, hope?

Sometimes.  Not all the time.  But my awesome kid reminded me today that it is a good thing to hope.  It is a good thing to be passionate about God!  (Take that, Martha!)

Hmmmmm . . . out of the mouths of babes.

No comments:

Post a Comment