Thursday, April 15, 2010

What are We Destined For?

Have you ever thought much about destiny?  About what it is that you were put on earth to accomplish?

There's a lot of pressure on young people these days to know at the age of 18, when they are entering college, what their career choice will be for the next 50 years.  I'm sure not doing what I thought I'd be doing when I was 18.  Are you?

The struggle for Christians of all ages is that popular phrase, "doing God's will."  Don't we all want to do His will?  (For those of you who were in Bible study last night, yes!  I'm cheating!  I'm using some of our discussion from last night!  lol) 

Of course, it's a good and wonderful thing to have the true desire to be in God's will.  But I wonder if sometimes we make it too hard.  Sometimes we act like this:  "Well, things didn't go right and I'm having a really hard time.  I thought I was in God's will, but now I'm not so sure.  Where did I go wrong?"

Where did we get the idea that being in God's will meant Easy Street?  Didn't Jesus tell us that the cost of being a disciple was great?  That it was equivalent to hating our family, if that's what it took to put Him first?  That doesn't suggest an easy life.

In 1 Thessalonians 3, Paul is talking about his desire - need, even - to see his Thessalonian brothers.  He says in the previous chapter that Satan stopped him, and then in chapter three he talks about sending Timothy to encourage them.  Look what he says in verses 3b and 4:  "You know quite well that we were destined for them [difficult times]. In fact, when we were with you, we kept telling you that we would be persecuted. And it turned out that way, as you well know."

These were men who expected persecution and hardship; they considered it their destiny.  But most Americans - and even most Christians - think that the purpose of life, of work, and of time is to have an easier life.  Now, these aren't people who are CEO's and great leaders.  Great leaders know that an easy life should never be a goal.  But for most of us, success is a problem-free, stress-free life.

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you that that is not in the Bible anywhere.  At least not that I can find. 

We're going to conclude this thought tomorrow, but in the mean time I want you to think about this:  when was the last time you went through a really difficult set of circumstances?  And what was your prayer during that time?  Was it for God to take away the pain, the hurt, the financial woes . . . or was it to have more of God during these times? 

See you tomorrow for the conclusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment