Monday, April 5, 2010

Repentance Equals Refreshment

I've been at a loss for what direction our devotions should go in next.  In fact, I had just thought of not having anything this week, but when I was looking through my email this morning I found the weekly ad for Hobby Lobby.  They had a Bible verse written on a chalkboard for Easter.  The verse is Acts 3:19:

"Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord."

And I started thinking.  Scary process, to be certain!  But I still wanted to share my thoughts!

How interesting that Peter would equate repentance with refreshing.  Sometimes we have a view of repentance as shame-inducing.  Don't you think that what Peter was saying was that repentance brings a breath of fresh air!

We get tired, we get weary, we need a break.  We get so busy in our everyday lives that before long we are strung out!  We need refreshing!  How often, when we finally turn to God for that refreshing, do we repent on the fact that we got to this point in the first place?

God didn't intend for us to be tired, weary, strung out.  When we continually turn to Him, and find rest in Him, we don't need to find time for a break!  God has built in breaks for us all the time.  When we turn our schedule over to Him, we'll find a refreshing breath of fresh air is what is fueling our schedule all the time!

I don't think Peter was referring to how busy we are when he preached this sermon.  But it's interesting to apply this scripture to that part of our lives.

More on this tomorrow, and the other areas of life that this verse applies to!  If you want to work ahead, read the entire chapter of Acts 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment