Friday, April 16, 2010

What are We Destined For? Part 2

"You know quite well that we were destined for them [difficult times]. In fact, when we were with you, we kept telling you that we would be persecuted. And it turned out that way, as you well know."  1 Thessalonians 3:3-4

Continuing on with yesterday's discussion . . . I wonder where we (Christians) came up with the plan that living a "good" life would ensure us tranquility.  I've even heard sermons where the pastor would preach about if you are falling on hard times, better check your spiritual life.  As if God uses difficulties to punish us, I guess.  Have you ever wondered if God uses difficulties as rewards?

We usually turn to the book of Job when we want to talk about someone going through trials and tribulations.  At times I have wondered how God could let Satan take Job on.  Job 1:8:  "Then the LORD said to Satan, 'Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil.'"  God invited Satan to look at Job.  And although I'm not planning on doing a comprehensive analysis on Job today, throughout the whole book, as more and more is taken from Job, everyone, from his friends to his wife, tempts him to denounce God.  Now in the last chapter, God lets the friends have it, and Job is made prosperous and whole again.

Don't think Job didn't have his down times.  There are 42 chapters in this book, and all the action happens in the first couple of chapters!  Job gets down, just like we all do.  But Job ends up letting God be God: "My ears had heard of you but now my eyes have seen you. Therefore I despise myself and repent in dust and ashes. (42:5-6)

Job's eyes hadn't seen God when he was prosperous and had every good thing.  Even God called him blameless and upright; and yet still, Job didn't consider himself as really seeing God until he went through his trial.  He was destined for the trial, don't you think, in the same way that Paul, Silas and Timothy were destined for their trials they referred to in 1 Thessalonians.

Wow, this is a long post today!  I'm trying to keep them shorter, but not today, I guess.  Because my point is long, and it is this:  there are a lot of trials and tests in life.  And it's completely selfish and self-centered to think that we are any better than Job, or Paul, or Timothy.  Do we "deserve" bad things to happen to us?  No.  But neither do we "deserve" good things.  We are giving good things through God's grace.  And sometimes, we are given the bad things through His grace, too.

One more story, on a personal level.  About two years into my marriage, I really went off the deep end and started living a life unpleasing to God.  When all my sins and mistakes came out, my husband, of course, was really shaken.  But with some time and distance, he actually was grateful to God for the time.  My husband was always very independent, and he felt like that time of my wandering forced him to rely on God.  (Because he couldn't take it with me anymore!)

What do you think stops you from looking at tough times as gifts from God?  What will you do to change your viewpoint?

1 comment:

  1. I just love your blog Jenn! I love your perspective! It is in the valley that we find rest and comfort. Sure the view from the mountain is beautiful, but the valley is where we can grow closer to and more fully rely on our Father!

    ReplyDelete